Criterion to Consider When Applying to a Top Art College
Factors to consider when searching for a top art college. Post graduate job placement can be more profitable with a degree from a top art college.
Aspiring chefs, interior designers, and architects want to attend a top art college. When researching colleges, it is important to clearly define expectations in advance. Each art college has its own flair and personality for attracting a certain type of student. Visit several websites to research which college offers a program that matches your desired experience.
Art Colleges are beginning to cater to the art of athletics. In the past, art majors would forego attending an art college to attend a traditional university in order to play sports. In an effort to become more competitive, top art colleges are offering sports programs to promote a well rounded academic experience.
There are several other factors worth considering when selecting a college:
• Scholarships / Financial Aid – Tuition at top art colleges can be in excess of $20K per year. How many scholarships are available? What deadlines and requirements must be met to apply? Does the institution offer other means of financial aid?
• Internships / Job Placement – One of the benefits of choosing a top art college is career placement with a lucrative starting salary. How aggressive are their programs to prepare students to enter a competitive job market? Does the college promote intern programs with local businesses to provide real life experience prior to graduation?
• Focus of Study – Like any university, each art college has a primary focus on programs it offers. How does the school’s philosophies line up with the student’s goals?
• Faculty – The caliber of the faculty has a major influence on student body. How influential are the faculty members in their respective field? What innovative contributions have they made throughout their career?
• Technology – In order to be competitive after graduation it is important to be well educated in current technological advances. Does the college you’re considering make a significant investment in cutting edge technology?
• Alumni – Much can be told about an art college from the quality of alumni it has produced. Can you find notable names on their alumni list? Are the alumni active with the student body?
• Visiting Artists – There is great inspirational value in having visiting artists contribute to the learning process. What well known artists have visited the college recently? How often are visiting artists featured at the college?
Top art colleges are vying to attract the most talented students. In order to accommodate the needs of the student body, a wide variety of night, evening and on-line classes are available. By offering more choices in curriculum colleges have a better chance of capturing the interest of outstanding performers.
When selecting an art college it is important to evaluate their accreditations and the impact that would have on the student’s ability to transfer credits to complete a post graduate degree at another institution. It would be disheartening to find out that years of work could not be applied to another college’s degree program due to accrediting guidelines.
Recruiters from top art colleges will be as aggressive as any ivy league school in order to draw the highest caliber students to their campuses. Once accepted, students should expect to participate in a rigorous academic environment.
Did you know:
According to US News and World Reports the following are the top 2010 National Schools offering Art majors
1. Yale University – New Haven, CT
2. University of Chicago – Chicago, IL
3. Northwestern University – Evanston, IL
4. Brown University – Providence, RI
5. Rice University – Houston, TX